Khachmach community is situated 40 km away from Askeran town to the south east and 25 km away from the capital Stepanakert. The community is one of the oldest villages in Artsakh. The name of the community originates from the abundance of khachqars (stone crosses) in the village. In 1651, St. Stepanos church was constructed in Khachmach.
Before Artsakh war there were 62 houses and 250 residents in Khachmach community. There were 4 victims during the war. And now the population of Khachmach is 256. The main occupation of population is grain cultivation, gardening and cattle breeding. In 1963 the community was electrified.
The community needs a municipality building. Khachmach community has a dispensary and school with 41 pupils currently attending. The library is located in the club building. The community also uses electrification and gasification system. In 2011 the water supply system was reconstructed.
Hayastan All Armenian Fund has built a new community center in Khachmach village. The community is a two-story multifunctional building, which includes community administration offices, an events hall, a library, a computer lab and a health care point with a separate entrance. The building also has a foyer, sanitary units as well as auxiliary facilities. The community center is fully furnished and provided with computers. Heating and ventilation systems are also be installed.
Such community centers are of vital importance to the ongoing social and economic development of rural areas in Armenia and Artsakh. They help streamline public services, foster a more dynamic civic life, and, ultimately, provide residents with one more compelling reason to continue living and working in their hometowns. The construction of Khachmach community center will effectively tackle a number of long-standing issues for the village, making community residents’ life easier and more comfortable.